- Admission & Exit Interviews
- Scholarship Information, Semester Costs & Payment
- Financial Aid
- Health & Immunization Requirements
- Enrollment Confirmation, Matriculation, & Registration
- Pre-selected Courses for Fall 2013
- Select Start Welcome & Information Session and Orientation
- Rowan IDs for Select Start Students
- Access to Rowan Facilities / Activities During the Fall 2013 Term
- Select Start 101 Sessions & Advising Support
- About Rowan Email
- Select Start Contact Information
- Summary of Next Steps for Students Who Want to Participate in Select Start
The Select Start program is a special initiative designed to increase accessibility and to give undergraduate applicants who have not met Rowan University’s competitive acceptance standards another opportunity for admission. The Select Start option is offered only to those applicants whose academic credentials show promise and therefore deserve a chance to demonstrate that they can be successful in college-level courses. During the Fall 2013 term, Select Start students are enrolled in three pre-selected college courses in Mathematics, Writing, and English. Those who successfully complete all three courses with a term GPA of at least 2.750 (on our 4.000 scale) will be offered unconditional admission to Rowan University for the Spring 2014 term.
- Stay on track with your educational goals!
- Select Start provides one more chance at Rowan admission for the same academic year as your original application.
- All credits from the 3 required courses completed during the Select Start program can be applied toward the 120* required credits for a Rowan Bachelor’s degree, or will be eligible to use as transfer credit at another accredited institution.
- Those who succeed and meet the conditions of the Select Start program are offered unconditional admission for Spring 2014 and may continue with Rowan coursework without any further delays, applications, etc.
- Save money!
- The Select Start program provides participating students with a special scholarship equal to 50% of the prevailing on-campus rate for tuition and fees. This gives students and parents a savings of approximately $2,500.
- Federal Aid Eligible!
- In addition to the discount, Select Start students are matriculated students registered for 10 credits during the Fall 2013 term, and therefore, they are eligible for federal financial aid.
- Full access at half the price!
- Select Start students will have the same access** to Rowan facilities and activities as full-time, matriculated Rowan students.
- Academic Support!
- We want you to be successful. Select Start students will participate in several special workshops (Select Start 101 Sessions) focusing on topics such as financial aid, advising, academic success and study skills, and career counseling.
*120 is the minimum number of credits required for a Rowan Bachelor’s degree; however, the actual number of credits required may be slightly higher depending upon your ultimate major.
** Select Start students will not be eligible to participate in Rowan athletic teams during the Fall 2013 term.
Conditional Admission for Fall 2013
Because Select Start students are offered conditional admission for the Fall 2013 term, they will be on admission probation. This places a temporary hold on their record and limits them to 10 credits. Select Start students are not allowed to adjust their registration for the Fall 2013 term without first speaking to a Coordinator from the College of Graduate & Continuing Education (CGCE).
Admission probation and the related hold are temporary and will be lifted from the students’ records once they are permitted to continue as fully admitted Rowan students in the Spring 2014 term. There is no permanent notation on official transcripts regarding Select Start, and the records for Select Start students who are fully admitted to Spring 2014 will appear the same as the record of any undergraduate Rowan student.
What Are the Conditions of Admission to Spring 2014?
In order to continue with coursework and be offered unconditional and formal admission to Rowan University for the Spring 2014 term, Select Start students must successfully complete the three courses that were pre-selected for them, and they must earn at least a 2.750 GPA for the Fall 2013 term. In addition, Select Start students will be required to abide by all Rowan policies, which are available to view any time here.
We will evaluate the academic progress of all Select Start students mid-way through the Fall 2013 term in order to provide necessary feedback and support. Throughout the term, Select Start students will be encouraged to take advantage of Rowan’s resources that can assist them with their coursework, including study skills and time management workshops, and free academic tutoring.
Unconditional Admission for Spring 2014 and the Select Start Exit Interview
Near the end of the Fall 2013 term all Select Start students will participate in an exit interview with the Center for Academic Advising and Exploration (CAAdE). For those who have successfully met the conditions of admission, they will be given a formal offer of admission for Spring 2014 and be advised regarding their upcoming Spring 2014 registration, any required placement tests, and overall educational plan. For those who have not met the conditions of admission, we will work with them on their educational plan and try to help them to find other academic options.
Select Start students are given a special scholarship for the Fall 2013 semester which is equal to 50% of the prevailing tuition and fee rates. This is an estimated savings of at least $2,450 for the Select Start student for Fall 2013.
Estimated costs and savings for the program during the Fall 2013 term (based upon the 2012-2013 undergraduate rates) are below:
|Standard 2012-2013 Per Credit Tuition Rate||Standard 2012-2013 Per Credit Fee Rate||50% off the 2012-2013 Per Credit Tuition Rate||50% off the 2012-2013 Per Credit Fee Rate||Total estimated costs per credit for the Select Start student||Total estimated costs for Tuition and Fees (at 10 credits) for the Select Start student in Fall 2013|
|$342||$148||$171||$74||$245||$245 x 10 credits=$2,450|
According to our current rates outlined above, students enrolled in 10 undergraduate credits would normally be charged at least $4,900 in tuition and fees for the term.
While the exact charges for Fall 2013 are not yet known, Select Start students will be given a scholarship such that their charges will be approximately $2,450 for the term, which is one half of the standard rate.
Costs For the Program During the Spring 2014 Term
Those permitted to continue at Rowan as fully admitted students for the Spring 2014 term will pay the standard 2013-2014 rates for tuition and fees. Standard rates and fees for 2013-2014 will be listed on the Bursar’s website soon. If students register for Spring 2014 as advised (12 or more credits) they should once again be eligible for any Federal Aid for which they qualify as long as they submit (or had already submitted for Fall 2013 enrollment) the 2013-2014 FAFSA. Questions about financial aid should be directed to Rowan’s Financial Aid Office at email@example.com.
Payment instructions will be the same for the Fall 2013 and Spring 2014 terms. Each term has a payment due date that is listed on the Bursar’s website at www.rowan.edu/bursar. That same site also includes step-by-step instructions for paying online using our Banner Self Service system. (Please note: Select Start students will not have access to this system until they have completed all of the steps outlined for them in their registration confirmation email from CGCE.)
If students have applied for, been awarded, and accepted their financial aid package before the payment due date, then the pending aid will appear on their account. If the pending aid is enough to cover the total charges for the term, no payment will be due and the Bursar’s Office will send students instructions via email to confirm their enrollment (for aid purposes) through the Bursar Services link on Self Service. If the aid is not enough to cover the total charges for the term, the Bursar’s Office will send students instructions via email to pay the difference online. A payment plan called “Deferred Payment” that allows students to pay in three installments throughout the term is also available, and information about that and other payment options will be included in the Bursar email.
Note: The above does not include the costs of materials/supplies including textbooks. It also does not include any housing costs, should Select Start students choose to take advantage of that option during the Fall 2013 term. (Click here for information about housing for Select Start student. )
Select Start students will be conditionally admitted and matriculated students registered for 10 undergraduate credits in the Fall 2013 term, and as such they are eligible to apply for Federal Financial Aid. If they have not done so already, students should apply for aid as soon as possible by following the online application process for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov(Rowan’s FAFSA code is 002609).
Once the FAFSA is processed and students have accepted the Select Start offer (by submitting to CGCE the Enrollment Confirmation Form), the aid application should appear in Rowan’s system to be packaged. At that point, Rowan’s Financial Aid Office will send students a letter with details about any aid award for which they qualified along with further instructions about how to accept the award so it may be applied to the Fall 2013 bill.
Select Start students who are permitted to continue in Spring 2014 and who register as advised for that term (for 12 or more credits) would continue to be eligible for Federal Financial Aid. If they had already completed the 2013-2014 FAFSA for Fall 2013, they should only need to accept any aid awarded to them by working with Rowan’s Financial Aid Office.
Should Select Start students have any questions about the financial aid process, they should contact Rowan’s Financial Aid Office at www.rowan.edu/financialaid or 856-245-4250 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
All Select Start students are eligible to apply to live in on-campus housing. Select Start students who live more than 40 miles away from Rowan University’s Glassboro campus will be offered the opportunity to apply for on-campus housing for the Fall 2013 term (and the Spring 2014 term if permitted to continue in the program). While living in on-campus housing will not be mandatory for Select Start students during the Fall 2013 term, it is strongly recommended for those who live more than 40 miles away. Select Start students who live more than 40 miles away who are fully admitted to Rowan for Spring 2014 and continue as full-time matriculated students will then be required to live in on-campus housing for a total of 4 semesters or 58 earned credits.
Select Start students who live fewer than 40 miles away from Rowan University’s Glassboro campus will be offered the opportunity to apply for on-campus housing on a space-available, first-come, first-served basis for the Fall 2013 term (and the Spring 2014 term if permitted to continue in the program). Select Start students who live fewer than 40 miles away who are fully admitted to Rowan for Spring 2014 and continue as full-time matriculated students and choose not to live in on-campus housing must at that time furnish the Offices of Residential Learning & University Housing with a notarized Statement of Student Residence Form confirming this fact. (This form is available to download here.)
Applying for On-campus Housing
To apply for on-campus housing in the Fall 2013 term, Select Start students must first submit their Enrollment Confirmation Form to CGCE, which will then matriculate the students and email confirmation of that fact. Only once students are in receipt of that email (which will include their official Rowan ID number) will they be able to access the online housing application. The housing application is available at www.rowan.edu/selfservice under the “Student” tab and then within the link “My Housing.” After clicking on “My Housing” students should click “Go to Apply Online” to complete the application. Students will access Self Service using their Rowan ID as their USER ID and their 6-digit birthday (MMDDYY) as their PIN. Housing Assignments will be made after August 1, 2013 and students will be notified via their Rowan email.
For housing costs, please click here.
(If not posted already, the 2013-14 housing rates will be posted soon. Remember that housing costs will be in addition to the tuition and fees listed for Select Start students.)
- All students who live in on-campus housing must also meet all health and immunization requirements before they will be allowed to move in. (For more details about health and immunization requirements, please click here.)
- Students living on campus for the first time will be required to submit (with their application) a non-refundable, $200 housing deposit which is credited to the fall account.
- Students assigned to on-campus housing will also be required to carry a meal plan. For details concerning meal plans and costs, contact the Bursar's Office at email@example.com or www.rowan.edu/bursar.
Should Select Start students have any questions about on-campus housing or the housing application process, they should contact the Office of Residential Learning & University Housing at www.rowan.edu/rluh or 856-256-4266 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Health & Immunization Forms
Before you enter Rowan as a student, you must meet certain requirements pertaining to health information. Per the State of New Jersey, if you are a matriculated part-time or full-time degree-seeking student who is in any course that is not 100% online, then you will need to comply with the state health and immunization requirements.
The State of New Jersey has three immunization requirements that pertain to students at Rowan University:
- Proof of Immunization against Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (2 MMR vaccines) for all students. Titers showing immunity may be submitted in lieu of immunizations.
- Proof of Immunization against Hepatitis B (3 Hepatitis B vaccines) for students taking 12 or more credit hours. Titers showing immunity may be submitted in lieu of immunizations.
- Proof of Vaccination against Meningococcal Meningitis (Menactra™ or Menveo™ vaccine) for students residing in campus housing. All new, incoming students who plan to live in campus housing must show proof of vaccination against meningococcal meningitis within the past 5 years prior to living on campus. No room key will be issued until this requirement is met. This vaccine is highly recommended for all other students as well. All college students should receive a meningococcal meningitis booster at age 16 or older.
Select Start students will be required to meet the first two immunization requirements listed above (regardless of credit hours) as well as the third requirement listed (meningitis) should they choose to live in on-campus housing. Select Start students must submit the pre-entrance health forms and proof of all required immunizations to the Student Health Center by July 15, 2013. Forms and information are available to download here.
Failure to comply with these required forms and immunizations by the published deadlines will result in late fees (up to $100) and an “Immunization Hold” placed on the student’s record. This hold will prevent the student from receiving grades or registering for additional courses until the requirements are completed.
Student Health Center at Rowan University
Rowan’s Student Health Center is located on the Glassboro campus in Linden Hall. All matriculated students who are currently taking classes at Rowan are provided services at the Student Health Center. The SHC focuses on preventive care and the treatment of acute illnesses and injuries. Our health services do not take the place of a primary care physician. While the center can handle most needs, students with more serious disorders requiring hospitalization, laboratory, diagnostics or specialist care will be referred accordingly. The Health Center does not cover the cost of prescription drugs, laboratory procedures, x-rays, or other referrals.
A Note about Student Health Insurance
New Jersey state law requires all full-time, matriculated students to have health insurance. Students that do not provide proof of their own insurance (by completing a waiver online) will be automatically enrolled in the University's plan provided by United Healthcare. Select Start students will not be full-time during the Fall 2013 year, so no proof of Health insurance is required. However, should they be fully admitted to Rowan and continue as full-time students in Spring 2014, they will be required to comply with the health insurance policy at that time.
Should Select Start students have any questions about the health and immunization requirements or the services offered by the Center, they should contact Rowan’s Student Health Center at www.rowan.edu/health or 856-245-4333 or email@example.com.
To accept the offer and participate in the Select Start Program, students must complete and submit to CGCE the Select Start Enrollment Confirmation Form (that was included with their Select Start Offer Letter and follow-up email). This form is due as early as possible, but no later than May 1, 2013. Submission of the Enrollment Confirmation Form reserves a spot in the Select Start program for the Fall 2013 start.* Click here to download the Enrollment Confirmation Form (pdf).
Upon receipt of their Enrollment Confirmation Form, students will be matriculated in the Select Start program and sent confirmation of that fact by the College of Graduate & Continuing Education (CGCE).
Within the month of August or earlier, all confirmed Select Start students will be registered into their three pre-selected college courses and sent a registration confirmation email with further instructions by the College of Graduate & Continuing Education (CGCE). In order to be set up properly in the system (including a Rowan email account and access to the course schedule), it is very important that students promptly follow the instructions included in the registration confirmation email.
Note: *Because space is limited, if your plans change after you submit the Enrollment Confirmation Form and you will no longer be participating in the Select Start program, please let us know as soon as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All Select Start students will be registered for the following three courses, which will total 10 undergraduate credits.
COMP 01105: Intensive College Composition I 4 semester hours (s.h.)
This 4-credit writing course instructs students in essay organization, support, and mechanics. The course emphasizes the writing process and the development of writing skills. Students read and analyze the writing of professionals and peers. Completing this course fulfills the College Composition I General Education writing requirement.
MATH 01115: Contemporary Mathematics 3 s.h.
This course is designed to develop an appreciation of what mathematics is and how it is used today. Topics covered include: statistics and probability; graphs, trees and algorithms; geometrical perspectives including transformations, symmetry, and similarity; and the mathematics of social choice.
ENGL 02123: Experiencing Literature 3 s.h.
This course increases students' understanding and enjoyment of literature. By studying the major forms of literature—drama, novel, poetry, and short story—students will understand some of the distinguishing characteristics of each form, the special demands each form imposes upon the thoughtful reader, and some of the most useful ways to respond to these demands.
Select Start students will be required to participate in a special Welcome & Information Session. Parents of Select Start students are also encouraged to participate. The Welcome & Information Session will include details about many University resources, policies, and processes that will help the Select Start students best meet the goals and expectations of the program and will put them in the best position to become fully admitted Rowan students for Spring 2014.
The Welcome & Information Session is for all Select Start students and their parents. Those permitted to continue at Rowan for Spring 2014 will also be required to participate in a new student Orientation in January 2014.
More information (including dates and times) about the Welcome & Information Session will be sent to confirmed Select Start students soon.
During the Welcome & Information Session, all Select Start students will receive their Rowan photo IDs.
During the Fall 2013 term, Select Start students will have the same access to all Rowan facilities and activities* as any other matriculated Rowan student. This includes access to the library, campus computer labs, the Health Center, student events, and the Recreational Center without any additional costs.
*Select Start students will not be eligible to participate in Rowan athletic teams during the Fall 2013 term.
During the Fall 2013 term, Select Start students will be expected to participate in a few special workshops or “101 Sessions” designed to help them better understand and connect to the many Rowan resources available to them. There will be a total of 2-5 sessions which will include some of the following topics:
- What it means to be in the Exploratory Studies program and how/when to transfer to other majors
- Information about the General Education and Rowan Experience requirements
- How academic advising works on campus and when/how often to seek out your Advisor
- Academic support resources including the Academic Success Center and the Tutoring Center
- Career Counseling with our Career Management Center
- How financial aid and payments work each term
Advising Support for the Fall 2013 Term
During the Fall 2013 term, Select Start students will use the College of Graduate & Continuing Education as their one-stop shop for any questions/concerns they may have. CGCE will make sure they get connected to any additional offices or resources they might need during that term, including the Center for Academic Advising and Exploration (CAAdE).
Advising Support for the Spring 2014 Term
Those students who successfully complete the Select Start program and meet the conditions of admission will be permitted to continue at Rowan and will begin working directly with CAAdE for their advising needs for Spring 2014. Students should expect to enroll in 4-5 courses for the Spring 2014 term and may begin working with CAAdE regarding changing to a new major that best meets their educational goals. Once students determine their ultimate major, their Advisor will also change to one associated with their academic program of choice.
Once students are matriculated and registered and receive the confirmation email from CGCE, they are instructed to set up their Rowan email and check it at least daily. This is a very important step since Rowan policy is that all official correspondence from Rowan University is sent to the Rowan email address. This will include any notices from the Financial Aid or Bursar’s Offices, which are often time-sensitive and needing prompt attention. We want to make sure our Select Start students do not miss any of the important information sent to them throughout their time as students at Rowan University.
The College of Graduate & Continuing Education (CGCE) manages many of Rowan’s special initiatives and partnerships and, working with many other offices on campus, we will lead the coordination of the Select Start program for the Fall 2013 term.
Any questions about the Select Start program between now and the end of the Fall 2013 term should be directed to the CGCE Academic Services Office at 856-256-5133 or email@example.com. Our Select Start Coordinators will work with you, and with the assistance of other offices of campus, make sure you get the answers you need. We will also be posting updates regarding the Select Start Program on this page.
CGCE is committed to helping Select Start students succeed.
- Submit the Select Start Enrollment Confirmation Form to CGCE as soon as possible but before May 1, 2013.
- Apply for financial aid (if desired).
- If you are awarded aid, you will be sent an aid award letter from the Financial Aid Office.
- Following the instructions in the letter, be sure to promptly accept your aid (the amount you choose to accept) so your account may be properly updated.
- Follow any instructions on the two follow-up emails you will receive from CGCE:
- Confirmation Email regarding receipt of the Enrollment Confirmation Form and your reserved spot in the Select Start program for Fall 2013;
- Registration Confirmation email which will outline your registration in the three pre-selected college courses and include instructions for activating your Rowan email and other special account information.
- By July 15, 2013, complete and submit all required health forms and immunization records as required by the State of NJ and as outlined at here.
- Attend the Welcome & Information Session for Select Start Students.
- Be sure to pay for your Fall 2013 coursework by the Fall 2013 due date posted on the Bursar’s website.
- Purchase any necessary materials and textbooks for your courses.
- Attend the three required courses during the Fall 2013 term.
- Attend the Select Start 101 Sessions during the Fall 2013 term.
- Participate in the Select Start Exit Interview.
Those who successfully complete all three courses with a term GPA of at least 2.750 will be invited to continue on as fully admitted Rowan students. Our hope is that Select Start makes Rowan University a possibility for you and your family.