Interested and qualified high school eleventh and twelfth grade students may enroll in a selected number of Rowan University online courses and receive academic credit both from the high school and the university. Courses are offered at a substantially discounted rate: $280 per credit for the academic year of 2011–2012. The majority of courses offered through the High School Dual Credit program fulfill Rowan’s general education requirements and the credits earned may also be transferrable to other 4-year institutions.
Upon graduation from high-school, if a student matriculates at Rowan University, the entire tuition that has been paid to Rowan will be returned in the form of a scholarship for those courses in which the student has achieved a grade of B or better.
All Rowan University online courses are offered through the College Graduate & Continuing Education (CGCE), which is also responsible for communicating and coordinating with the school districts and for registering the students upon receiving the appropriate required form.
Enrolling in a Rowan Online course requires the involvement of the student, parents/guardians, school district officials, and CGCE Academic Services.
Student and Parent/Guardian Responsibilities
Qualified high school students interested in enrolling in a Rowan Online course must do the following:
- Review the list of available courses.
- Once you’ve selected a course(s), obtain a CGCE Activation & Permission Form for High School Students from the designated school district official. To find out about participating school districts and designated school district officials contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 856-256-5138.
- Return the completed form, signed by both the student and parent/guardian, to the school district official.
The School official will sign the form and send it by fax to 856-256-5638 to the attention of Assistant Dean, Academic Services or via email to email@example.com.
CGCE Academic Services
Upon receipt of the completed and signed form the CGCE will:
- Officially register students for selected courses and confirm registration via email.
- Once the student has been activated and registered, CGCE will email both the student and parent/guardian a confirmation of registration and any other necessary information including textbook details and payment instructions. Students should follow the instructions on the confirmation email and then attend the class as directed.
Because class capacity is set at 30 students and online courses fill up fairly quickly, we strongly recommend submitting the CGCE Activation & Permission Form for High School Students, which is required for course registration, at least two weeks prior to the start of a class.
The following courses are offered for summer and through out the year 2014–2015 (provided they meet minimum enrollment).
|Course #||Course Title||Credit Hours||Start Date||End Date|
|CS 01190||Intro Computer Game Modeling||3||06/03/2014||07/28/2014|
|ENGL 02123||Experiencing Literature||3||06/03/2014||07/28/2014|
|FNDS 21150||History of American Education||3||06/03/2014||07/28/2014|
|GEOG 16100||Earth, People, and Environment||3||06/03/2014||07/28/2014|
|GEOG 16130||Earth Science Laboratory I||4||05/27/2014||08/18/2014|
|GEOG 16160||Intro Mapping/Geo Info Science||3||05/06/2014||06/30/2014|
|GERM 03100||Masterpiece German Literature/English Translation||3||06/03/2014||07/28/2014|
|INAR 06200||Basic Nutrition||3||06/03/2014||07/28/2014|
|LAWJ 05175||Survey Criminal Justice||3||06/03/2014||07/28/2014|
|LAWJ 05200||Intro to Corrections||3||06/03/2014||07/28/2014|
|PSY 01107||Essentials of Psychology||3||06/03/2014||07/28/2014|
|REL 10200||Religions of the World||3||05/06/2014||06/30/2014|
|SPED 08130||Human Exceptionality||3||06/03/2014||07/28/2014|
With few exceptions, online courses are offered in 8-week modules. The starting and ending dates of each module for academic year 2014–2015 are shown below.
|Summer 2014||Fall 2014||Spring 2015||Summer 2015|
|First 8 Weeks (Online Module A)||Module 5:
05/06/14 – 06/30/14
08/26/14 – 10/20/14
01/06/15 – 03/02/15
05/05/15 – 06/29/15
|Second 8 Weeks (Online Module B)||Module 6:
07/01/14 – 08/25/14
10/21/14 – 12/15/14
03/03/15 – 04/27/15
06/30/15 – 08/24/15