- About the Program
- Curriculum – including courses
- Admission Requirements
- Start Dates & Application Deadlines
About the Program
The Master of Science in Teaching (M.S.T.) in Theatre Education program offers the unique opportunity for students to pursue an initial New Jersey teaching certificate and a Master's degree simultaneously. The program is designed to prepare individuals who have undergraduate degrees to be certified K-12 Theatre teachers. Students whose undergraduate degree is in a professional or technical area may need to take as many as 30 additional credits in the desired content discipline necessary to meet certification requirements before being accepted into the program. Questions about appropriate undergraduate majors, academic sequences or pre-requisites should be directed to the program advisor. The Theatre Education program is designed for those with undergraduate theatre degrees who wish to teach theatre in K-12 classrooms. The M.S.T. program is a full-time program. The program cycle includes four consecutive terms beginning with a summer term and concluding after a second summer term.
- Total semester hours required for program completion: 40 s.h.
- Thesis Requirement: No
The courses listed here are not official and are subject to change. For an official list of available courses please visit the CGCE section tally.
|Course Number||Course Title||Semester Hours|
|Required Courses (40 s.h.)|
|ELEM 02511||Learning Community Classrooms||3|
|EDUC 01500||Trends & Practices in Classroom Teaching||3|
|THD 07525||Thry/Prac Tchg Theatre K-12||3|
|READ 30515||Teaching Reading Across Grades||3|
|EDUC 01601||Clinical Internship I [Field Placement; 3 full days per week]||5|
|EDUC 01610||Teaching for Equity and Achievement in Diverse Classrooms||3|
|SELN 10576||Effective Inclusive Instruction||3|
|SMED 60501||Teaching Methods II: [Subject Area]||3|
|EDUC 01605||Clinical Internship II [Field Placement; 5 full days per week]||7|
|EDST 24504||Action Research in Education||3|
|EDUC 02602||MST Professional Seminar||2|
|EDST 24608||Internship Project Report [Independent Study]||2|
The following is a list of items required to begin the application process for this program. There may be additional action or materials required for admission to the program. Upon receipt of the materials below a representative from the CGCE Admissions Processing Office will contact you with confirmation or indicating any missing items.
- CGCE Graduate Application Form (Download the PDF or click here to apply online)
- $65 (U.S.) non-refundable application fee
- Bachelor's degree (or its equivalent) from an accredited institution of higher learning
- A Bachelor's degree in an Arts or Sciences discipline relevant to the area of prospective teacher certification is highly recommended.
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended (regardless of number of credits earned)
- Current professional resume
- Typewritten statement of professional objectives
- Two letters of recommendation
- CGCE Foundation Course Completion Form (pdf)
- The Bachelor's degree should include at least 30 credits from an accredited, four-year college or university in a coherent sequence in the prospective content area, or which 12 credits must be at the junior, senior, or graduate level.
- Minimum undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Submission of official test results demonstrating passing scores on the Core Academic Skills for Educators: Praxis Core Basic Skills Test (Reading, Writing, Math) and Praxis II: Theatre
- Interview (Applicants will be contacted directly by the Faculty Admission Committee regarding the interview. The interview can be in person or via telephone.)
- On-site writing sample (conducted during the interview)
Start Dates & Application Deadlines
Below is a list of anticipated start dates. The start dates indicated are based on the university calendar or the CGCE schedule. Your actual first day of class will depend on the course sequence which will be provided by a CGCE Enrollment Advisor once you have matriculated in the program.
|Entry Term & Module||Start Date(s)||Application Deadline(s)|
Tuition & Costs
$648 tuition + $144.90 in fees = $792.90 per semester hour
(this rate applies to academic year 2014/2015 and is subject to change)