- About the Program
- Curriculum – including courses
- Admission Requirements
- Start Dates & Application Deadlines
About the Program
This program provides the candidate with the opportunity to learn the diagnostic and prescriptive skills necessary to function as a collaborative leader in a P-12 learning organization. The program meets the requirements established by the New Jersey Department of Education for state certification as a public school administrator in positions such as assistant superintendent for curriculum and instruction, principal, assistant principal, and director. Students outside the state of NJ must consult with their state department of education for certification requirements.
The M.A. in School Administration program is offered in the following formats:
- Rowan Glassboro Campus
- Blended / Online
The M.A. in School Administration is a part-time accelerated program that requires the completion of 36 graduate semester hours or 12 courses. The coursework is offered entirely online and only four face-to-face meetings are required throughout the possible 7 consecutive semesters it takes to complete the program. There are also 3 benchmark meetings required for completion of the program.
The M.A. in School Administration also includes the required courses for following two NJ Department of Education Certification programs: Supervisor Certification (4 courses) and Principal Certification (7 to 8 courses). Matriculated students in the M.A. in School Administration program are automatically matriculated into the Supervisor Certification program as well. Students who successfully complete the Rowan University M.A. in School Administration program will be recommended by the university to the State of NJ for the Supervisor Certification while those who successfully complete the program and meet the following additional requirements may be recommended to the State of NJ for the Principal Certification:
- Evidence confirming at least 5 years of satisfactory, full-time educational experience (demonstrated by a letter from the applicant’s school superintendent) in any New Jersey Department of Education-certified position.
- Evidence of a score of 163 or better on the School Leader Licensure Assessment Test (www.ets.org/sls)
The courses listed here are not official and are subject to change. For an official list of available courses please visit the CGCE section tally.
|Course Number||Course Title||Semester Hours|
|Required Courses (36 s.h.)||CURR 29580||Fundamentals of Curriculum Development||3|
|EDST 24504||Action Research in Education||3|
|EDSU 28546||Educational Organizations and Leadership||3|
|EDAM 27521||Introduction to the Principalship||3|
|EDAM 27535||School Finance and Records||3|
|EDAM 27559||Law and Ethics for School Leadership||3|
|EDSU 28522||Instructional Leadership and Supervision||3|
|EDAM 27510||Change for School Improvement||3|
|EDSU 28523||Building Organizational Capacity||3|
|CURR 29590||Curriculum Evaluation||3|
|EDAM 27600||Practicum/Seminar I in Administration and Supervision||3|
|EDAM 27601||Practicum/Seminar II in Administration and Supervision||3|
The following is a list of items required to begin the application process for the M.A. in School Administration program. There may be additional action or materials required for admission to the program. Upon receipt of the materials below a representative from the CGCE Admissions Processing Office will contact you with confirmation or indicating any missing items.
- CGCE Graduate Application Form (Download the PDF or click here to apply online)
- $65 (U.S.) non-refundable application fee
- Bachelor's degree (or its equivalent) from an accredited institution of higher learning
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended (regardless of number of credits earned)
- Current professional resume
- Typewritten statement of professional objectives (must include reasons for pursuing the School Administration program)
- Typewritten statement of leadership experience (must include examples of previous leadership experience and abilities within specific positions/projects)
- Two letters of recommendation
- While the official Recommendation Form is required, an actual letter from the recommender is preferred.
- Letters should be from a professional administrator-supervisor, principal, superintendent-and include information which attests to applicant's ability to pursue a graduate degree.
- Recommended undergraduate cumulative GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Copy of current NJ (or other state) teaching or educational services certificate (only Standard is acceptable)
- Letter confirming at least 3 years of satisfactory teaching or educational service
- Optional interview (If selected for an interview, the applicant will be contacted directly by the Faculty Admissions Committee. The interview can be in person or via telephone.)
Start Dates & Application Deadlines
Below is a list of anticipated start dates for the M.A. in School Administration program. The start dates indicated are based on the university calendar or the CGCE schedule. Your actual first day of class will depend on the course sequence which will be provided by a CGCE Enrollment Advisor once you have matriculated in the program.
|Entry Term & Module||Start Date(s)||Application Deadline(s)|
|Spring 2015 – Module 3||01/20/2015||11/01/2014|
Tuition & Costs
$648 tuition + $144.90 in fees = $792.90 per semester hour
(this rate applies to academic year 2014/2015 and is subject to change)