- About the Program
- Curriculum – including courses
- Admission Requirements
- Start Dates & Application Deadlines
About the Program
The Academic Advising track is intended for those individuals who wish to increase their knowledge and skills as well as those who seek an entry level position in a 2-year or 4-year college or university, specifically in an academic advising role in higher education, whether in an advising center, an academic department or college, or in a tutoring center or other specialized academic setting. Full-time students in this track may complete the program in two years, excluding summers, by following a highly sequenced pattern of course enrollments. Part-time students may also enroll and will be advised regarding the sequencing of courses in order to complete the program in four years or less.
This is a 36 semester hour (s.h.) program and includes a culminating seminar/internship sequence (6 s.h.) in which all students are required to enroll. All students are expected to work closely with the program advisor in determining course selection and the appropriate sequence for course enrollments. All students are also required to complete a major research project (thesis) as part of their culminating sequence of courses.
The courses listed here are not official and are subject to change. For an official list of available courses please visit the CGCE section tally.
|Course Number||Course Title||Semester Hours|
|Required Courses (9 s.h.)|
|HIED 06605||Higher Education in America||3|
|EDST 24501||Procedures and Evaluation in Research||3|
|CURR 29504||Understanding Adult Learning and Development||3|
|Track Courses (27 s.h.)|
|EDAM 27737||The College Student: Issues and Support Programs||3|
|EDAM 27630||Academic Advising in Higher Education||3|
|EDAM 27620||Legal Issues in Higher Education||3|
|EDAM 27623||Diversity in Higher Education||3|
|COUN 26509||Group Counseling in Educational Settings||3|
|COUN 26523||Counselor Interviewing Skills and Techniques||3|
|COUN 26582||Career Counseling in Educational Settings||3|
|EDAM 27628||Seminar/Internship in Higher Education Administration I (Capstone Course)||3|
|EDAM 27629||Seminar/Internship in Higher Education Administration II (Capstone Course)||3|
The following is a list of items required to begin the application process for this program. There may be additional action or materials required for admission to the program. Upon receipt of the materials below a representative from the CGCE Admissions Processing Office will contact you with confirmation or indicating any missing items.
- CGCE Graduate Application Form (Download the PDF or click here to apply online)
- $65 (U.S.) non-refundable application fee
- Bachelor's degree (or its equivalent) from an accredited institution of higher learning
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended (regardless of number of credits earned)
- Current professional resume
- Two letters of recommendation
- Typewritten statement of professional objectives
- Describe how you might use this program to advance your career. Educational goals beyond the master’s level, if applicable, are also relevant.
- Minimum undergraduate cumulative GPA of at least 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Submission of official GRE test results
- Interview (Applicants will be contacted directly by the Faculty Admissions Committee regarding the interview. The interview can be in person or via telephone.)
Start Dates & Application Deadlines
Below is a list of anticipated start dates. The start dates indicated are based on the university calendar or the CGCE schedule. Your actual first day of class will depend on the course sequence which will be provided by a CGCE Enrollment Advisor once you have matriculated in the program.
|Entry Term & Module||Start Date(s)||Application Deadline(s)|
Tuition & Costs
$648 tuition + $144.90 in fees = $792.90 per semester hour
(this rate applies to academic year 2014/2015 and is subject to change)