- About the Program
- Curriculum – including courses
- Admission Requirements
- Start Dates & Application Deadlines
About the Program
This program is designed for individuals who possess a standard instructional certificate, or possess or are eligible for CEAS and wish to obtain Teacher of Students with Disabilities (TSWD) certification in New Jersey.
The purpose of the program is to provide advanced studies focusing on educational, psychological and sociological needs of children and youth with disabilities. Each course in the program builds on the earlier knowledge and skills gained in the candidates initial certification programs. The coursework and related field experiences are designed to foster an understanding of students with special learning needs, combined with pedagogical skills to accommodate these needs and provide appropriate curriculum modifications when necessary.
- Total semester hours required for program completion: 21 s.h.
- Additional requirements: Action Research Project
The courses listed here are not official and are subject to change. For an official list of available courses please visit the CGCE section tally.
|Course Number||Course Title||Semester Hours|
|Required Courses (21 s.h.)|
|SELN 10581||Implementing Positive Behavior Strategies||3|
|SELN 10585||Educational Assessment in Special Education||3|
|SPED 08515||Curriculum, Instruction, Transition in Special Education||3|
|SPED 08520||Clinical Experiences in Special Education||4|
|SPED 08555||Education and Psychology of Exceptional Learners||3|
|SELN 10592||Clinical Seminar in Special Education||2|
|READ 30530||Teaching Reading to Exceptional Children||3|
The following is a list of items required to begin the application process for this program. There may be additional action or materials required for admission to the program. Upon receipt of the materials below a representative from the CGCE Admissions Processing Office will contact you with confirmation or indicating any missing items.
- CGCE Graduate Application Form (Download the PDF or click here to apply online)
- $65 (U.S.) non-refundable application fee
- Bachelor's degree (or its equivalent) from an accredited institution of higher learning
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended (regardless of number of credits earned)
- Current professional resume
- Two letters of recommendation
- Typewritten statement of professional objectives
- Please explain why you want to teach children with special needs and why is earning the TOSD Endorsement important to you.
- Minimum undergraduate cumulative GPA of 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale)
- COE TOSD Field Experience Placement Form (pdf)
- A copy of initial NJ teaching certificate (Standard or CEAS only) in Elementary Education or appropriate content area. If your certificate was issued prior to 1994, you must also submit scores from the Praxis II content specialization test.
- Interview may be required (If an interview is required, applicants will be contacted directly by the Faculty Admissions Committee. The interview can be in person or via telephone.)
- Writing sample (completed during interview)
Start Dates & Application Deadlines
Below is a list of anticipated start dates. The start dates indicated are based on the university calendar or the CGCE schedule. Your actual first day of class will depend on the course sequence which will be provided by a CGCE Enrollment Advisor once you have matriculated in the program.
|Entry Term & Module||Start Date(s)||Application Deadline(s)|
Tuition & Costs
$638 tuition + $141.90 in fees = $779.90 per semester hour
(this rate applies to academic year 2013/2014 and is subject to change)