- About the Program
- Curriculum – including courses
- Admission Requirements
- Start Dates & Application Deadlines
About the Program
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, job opportunities for Education Administrators should be excellent over the next ten years. Also, employment of education administrators is expected to grow by 12 percent between 2006 and 2016. One of few in the Philadelphia tri-state area, Rowan University’s Doctor of Educational Leadership (Ed. D.) program provides opportunities for students to acquire and construct knowledge that enhances their ability to transform educational institutions to meet the challenging needs of an ever-changing society. This is achieved by educating students to become reflective practitioners who comprehend and evaluate professional literature and research, and who understand leadership and change. In addition, students learn how to translate the research and theory into practice.
The Ed. D. at Rowan University is offered in the following formats/locations:
Ed. D. in Educational Leadership On-Campus – Camden, NJ
The Ed. D. is a part-time program offered in an accelerated face-to-face format. The focus of the program is on educational issues in P–16 settings.
The Ed. D. at Rowan University requires the completion of 60 graduate semester hours (s.h.) made up of 16 courses (48 s.h.) and 12 s.h. of dissertation. The program includes three distinct benchmarks.
- Total semester hours required graduate work for program completion: 60 s.h.
- Dissertation Requirement: Yes
The courses listed here are not official and are subject to change. For an official list of available courses please visit the CGCE section tally.
|Course Number||Course Title||Semester Hours|
|The following courses are required of all Ed. D. students (36 s.h.):|
|EDSU 28715||Leadership Theory||3|
|EDST 24503||Quantitive Analysis in Educational Research||3|
|EDST 24721||Action Research in Educational Leadership||3|
|EDAM 27704||Changing Organizations||3|
|EDSU 28706||Diversity in Educational Leadership||3|
|EDST 24724||Issues in Qualitative Analysis in Educational Leadership||3|
|EDAM 27750||Applied Ethics in Educational Leadership||3|
|EDST 24725||Mixed Methods Research in Educational Leadership||3|
|EDAM 27733||The Policy Environment||3|
|EDAM 27719||Dissertation Seminar I||3|
|EDAM 27720||Dissertation Seminar II||3|
|EDAM 27752||Advanced Leadership||3|
|Higher Education Track Courses (12 s.h.)|
|EDAM 27783||Student Development and Adult Learning Theory||3|
|EDAM 27741||Current Issues in Higher Education||3|
|EDAM 27746||Higher Education Governance||3|
|TBD||Nature & Function in Higher Education||3|
|P–12 Track Courses (12 s.h.)|
|EDAM 27790||Instructional Leadership and the Curriculum||3|
|EDAM 27749||Issues in School Governance||3|
|EDAM 27735||Promoting Effective Learning||3|
|EDAM 27714||Planning and Negotiating||3|
|Nurse Educator Track Courses (12 s.h.)|
|EDAM 27783||Student Development & Adult Learning Theory||3|
|SNUR 92751||Instructional Design & Curriculum Development in Nursing Education||3|
|SNUR 92752||Nursing Program Evaluation & Information Resources||3|
|SNUR 92753||Practicum in Nursing||3|
|Required Dissertation Research Course (12 s.h.)|
|EDST 24795||Dissertation Research||12|
The following is a list of items required to begin the application process for this program. There may be additional action or materials required for admission to the program. Upon receipt of the materials below a representative from the CGCE Admissions Processing Office will contact you with confirmation or indicating any missing items.
- CGCE Graduate Application Form (Download the PDF or click here to apply online)
- $65 (U.S.) non-refundable application fee
- Master's degree (or its equivalent) from an accredited institution of higher learning
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended (regardless of number of credits earned)
- Current professional resume
- Those applying to the P-16 Track must submit the CGCE Ed.D. in Educational Leadership Track Declaration Form (pdf)
- Three letters of recommendation
- While the official Recommendation Form is required, an actual letter from the recommender is additionally preferred.
- Applicants with Master’s degrees completed within the past 5 years should include as one of their recommenders an instructor from their Master’s program.
- Recommended GPA of 3.5 (on a 4.0 scale)
- While certification is not required for the program, the Faculty Admissions Committee asks applicants to please submit a copy of any educational certifications held.
- Three typewritten essays as follows:
- 1. In 500 words of fewer, describe your reasons for wanting to enroll in the Educational Leadership Doctoral program.
- 2. In 500 words or fewer, describe the characteristics of an effective leader. In what ways do you demonstrate those characteristics? In what ways can you improve?
- 3. In 1000 words or fewer, describe a pressing issue facing education today. If it were your responsibility to address the issue on a national level, how would you approach the problem? With whom would you collaborate to develop your plan?
- Interview with the Faculty Admissions Committee
Start Dates & Application Deadlines
Below is a list of anticipated start dates. The start dates indicated are based on the university calendar or the CGCE schedule. Your actual first day of class will depend on the course sequence which will be provided by a CGCE Enrollment Advisor once you have matriculated in the program.
|Entry Term & Module||Start Date(s)||Application Deadline(s)|
|Fall 2014 – Module 1||09/02/2014||06/01/2014|
Tuition & Costs
$848 per semester hour
(this rate applies to academic year 2014/2015 and is subject to change)